Search This Blog

Monday 25 April 2011

Future Continuous / Future Perfect

Quick example:
  • Tomorrow at this time, I will be taking my English Langauge exam.
  • Ben won't be eating the dinner now. He usually eats it around noon.!
  • Will you be coming to the party tonight?

We mainly use the Future Continuous (aka Future Progressive) to indicate that we will be in the middle of doing something in a specified time in the future. There are also two other uses, listed below:
Use
  1. Future actions in progress.
  2. Guesses about the present or the future.
  3. Polite questions about somebody's intentions*.
Good to know...
If you want to learn about somebody's intentions, you should always use the Future Continuous rather than the Present Simple. Using the Future Simple implies that you want to influence somebody's decision. Questions become much more objective if formed in the Future Continuous:
  • Will you come home? (= I want you to come home)
  • Will you be coming home? (= I just want to know)
USE 1: Future actions in progress
The first use of the Future Continuous is to express future action in progress. 

Examples:
  • In an hour, I will be sitting in front of my TV.
  • In the evening, I will be baking a birthday cake.
USE 2: Guesses
Use this tense also to make guesses about something in the present or future. 

Examples:
  • He won't be coming any time soon. He is still at the office.
  • Beatrice will be getting married very soon.
USE 3: Questions
The last (but not least) use of the tense is to make polite questions about something or somebody. 

Examples:
  • Will you be coming home before or after 10 p.m.?
  • Will you be going to the supermarket? I have something to buy.
Form

Contracted forms (more)

WILL = 'LL
Example: She'll have been = she will have been
WILL + NOT = WON'T
Example: She won't have been = she will not have been
Important: The Future Continuous appears in two forms: "will" form and "going to" form which can be used interchangably.
Example: "She will be dancing" means "she is going to be dancing" 

Declarative Sentences
Subject+Auxiliary verb+Auxiliary verb+Verb + ing
e.g. I/a dog etc.willbee.g.working/going/making
  • She'll be having a bath when I'm back home. (Use 1)
  • Tomorrow at nine, I will be hosing off (=washing with a hose) my car. (Use 1)
  • This time next week, I am going to be throwing a party. (Use 1)
  • I'll be watching TV when my mother arrives. (Use 1)
  • They will be getting home just about now. (Use 2)
Quick example:
  • By the next year, I will have graduated from university.

We use the Future Perfect tense to express an action that will be finished before some point in the future.
Use
  1. Actions that will be finished before some point in the future.
Common Time Expressions
Time expressions that are commonly used with the Future Perfect:
  • Before
  • By tomorrow/7 o'clock/next month
  • Until/till
USE 1
The only use of this tense is to talk about future actions that will be finished before some specified point in the future.


Examples:
  • Before they come, we will have cleaned up the house.
  • John will have eaten the whole cake, by the time the party starts!
Form

Contracted forms (more)

WILL = 'LL
Example: She'll have finished = she will have finished
WILL + NOT = WON'T
Example: She won't have finished = she will not have finished
Important: The Future Perfect appears in two forms: "will" form and "going to" form which can be used interchangably.
Example: "She will have finished" means "she is going to have finished"

Positive Sentences
Subject+Auxiliary verb+Auxiliary verb+Verb + ing
e.g. I/a dogetc.willhavee.g.eaten/given/goneetc.

    ExamplesUse
    will have retired by the end of this year.(Use 1)
    I read 40 pages a day. If I keep up the pace, Iwill have read the book by Tuesday.(Use 1)
Questions
Auxiliary verb+Subject+Auxiliary verb+Verb + ing
wille.g. I/a dogetc.havee.g.eaten/given/goneetc.

    ExamplesUse
    Will they have graduated from Cambridge by July 2009?(Use 1)
    Will I have retired by the end of the year?(Use 1)
    Will you have bought a new processor by the end of this week?(Use 1)
Negative Sentences
Subject+Auxiliary verb + not+Auxiliary verb+Verb + ing
e.g. I/a dogetc.will nothavee.g.eaten/given/goneetc.

    ExamplesUse
    They won't have graduated from from Cambridge by July 2009.(Use 1)
    My uncle won't have retired by the end of the year.(Use 1)







No comments:

Post a Comment